By NATHAN LAND
November 19, 2017
Here are some mind blowing facts about art, history and literature!
- Vincent Van Gogh only sold one painting in his entire life, but painted more than 900, along with 1100 drawings and sketches.
- Salvador Dali often tied his artwork into his personal conflict of faith and science. There was often a clear dichotomy between the scientific symbolism, and the religious symbolism.
- Churchill was actually quite good friends with Mussolini, praising him for his actions regarding fascism. However, when Mussolini allied with Hitler, he became an accessory to genocide, and, as Churchill did not want to be a second accessory to genocide, he split ties with Mussolini.
- Sultan Ibrahim I had 280 of his concubines drowned after one of them slept with another man.
- Alice in Wonderland was banned in China as putting animals on the same level as humans was ‘disastrous’.
- Proust’s A la recherche du temps perdu comes in at 9609000 characters, making it the longest novel ever written.
- War and Peace was copied out by Tolstoy’s wife, by hand, seven times.