By MAVERICK LIN
September 28, 2017
“This might be kinda cliché, but Elon Musk is my inspiration.”
Sure, there might be certain traits that people find… um, not so inspiring about him, but come on.
How can you not be inspired by:
- His ability to learn and soak up information. He read all the books at his library and started reading the Encyclopedia Britannica. He completed a 6-month BASIC course in 3 days. Taught himself how to program and created his own video game. He also self-taught himself aerospace engineering.
- His ability to have a laser-like focus. I read somewhere that when Elon studies a topic, he enters into a coma-like state. He’s just so focused on whatever he is absorbing and learning that he ignores everything around him.
- His imagination. His goal is to change the world for a better place and to ensure the survival of the human race- something he got from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. How many of us even have goals that go beyond ourselves?
“When I was in college, I wanted to be involved in things that would change the world. Now I am.”
- His ability to think big and independently. He disrupted the car industry with electric cars when very few people believed it was possible. He privatized space travel. He’s also got hands in the solar industry, hyperloops, AI, and boring stuff (Boring Company).
- His work-ethic. He works something like 100-plus hours a week. Most of us work 40-hours a week and we’re exhausted.
“Work like hell. I mean you just have to put in 80 to 100 hour weeks every week. [This] improves the odds of success. If other people are putting in 40 hour workweeks and you’re putting in 100 hour workweeks, then even if you’re doing the same thing, you know that you will achieve in four months what it takes them a year to achieve.”
- His sacrifices. A man like Elon must sacrifice a lot to do what he does. Many of us aren’t willing to sacrifice Sunday night football or give up watching NBA games. Not saying one is better than the other, but his ability to sacrifice is certainly admirable.
- His dedication. When Tesla almost went bankrupt, Elon poured all the money he had left into the company. Big and possibly reckless move? Maybe. Dedication? Yes. That’s loyalty and dedication right there. How many of us would have poured every penny we had left into near-death Tesla?
“When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.”
Besides, who doesn’t want to be Iron Man?