By ROHIT MALSHE
September 17, 2017
“Fresh kids out of college starting entrepreneurship! Welcome to the real world. It is quite a positive thought, and courageous as well. There is certainly no harm in trying if you have the talent, but here are the caveats:”
- Shown below is a plot of how things are perceived(blue) vs how they actually happen (red). Scroll down and read back.
- When people begin, they think that everything will look like a step jump going forward.
- They think that it will look like a very flowery life where you just keep climbing up.
- It seriously will not.
- You will fail, you will fail a lot of times.
- Here is what usually happens with most people.
- When they fail, they cannot even persist.
- They spend a lot of time in that state.
- See that red curve in the below? As soon as it dips down, people tend to spend a lot of time in that state.
- They don’t find out why they failed.
- They deny, they cry, they waste time, they get depressed and so on.
- Sometimes they are financially broke and sometime mentally empty.
- Suggestion: Do not worry at all. You have time, and you can pick yourself up and go forward. Here is what you need to do.
- Find out why you failed as quickly as possible.
- Get to the bottom of it.
- Learn something new.
- Alter your model or the way you carried yourself so that the chances of failure are reduced. Move forward and try again. Success will come to you soon enough.
You know what the difference between people like Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, and other common entrepreneurs is? The reality distortion field.
- Great entrepreneurs simply do not waste time when they fail.
- They pick themselves up, they pick their teams up and they move forward as soon as they have found the root cause of failures.
- Their curves move forward like the green.
- Soon in a few years, they figure out how not to fail, and they eventually make their success curves actually look like the blue.
The one advice I have for all entrepreneurs and project managers in organizations: When you fail, do not worry at all. Find out why you failed, fix that problem and move forward and eventually you will succeed.