By ROHIT MALSHE
October 25, 2017
“I think, that you think, that I think, that you think, that I am boring.”
First of all, stop thinking that you are dull and boring.
The moment you make up your mind that you are interesting, you have ‘started’ a journey, and the perception of others around you will change.
Most of the time there are a few aspects which make someone uninteresting in someone else’s eyes. It might even become a cyclic process.
Here is how:
- You had a somewhat dull day.
- You are not engaged yourself and are not smiling.
- Someone new meets up with you, and he or she sees you as uninteresting.
- You don’t smile too much.
- You conclude people are not interested.
- People conclude you are not interested.
- Everyone assumes everyone else to be not engaged, dull and uninteresting.
See what happens? A lot of thought construction occurs only in our brains.
We make conclusions in our brains, and begin creating a persona according to how we think how others perceive us.
The cyclic process works like this →
- I think that you think that I am boring.
- I think, that you think, that I think that you are boring.
- I think, that you think, that I think, that you think, that I am boring.
This is an infinite loop, and the conclusion is that we are boring.
Fortunately, this entire situation can be switched very easily, and it needs very little energy.
How do I simply change my mood and people’s mood around me?
- Start your day with a workout. It will make you happier.
- When you drive, listen to your favorite TV show to set a happy mood. For example, you can listen to two to three videos of “The Big Bang Theory”.
- When you reach the workplace, cheerfully greet as many people as possible.
- Cheerfulness is all conducive, and usually, anger, tension, stress settle down very quickly when the mood is light.
- When you set a tone, the other person has some inclination to align with your tone. If they don’t, that is their problem. You should stay positive, and cheerful.
- It is far more critical to begin stressful meetings with cheerful gestures. They don’t take efforts. One only needs to remind themselves of those gestures.
That said, how can I improve speaking, storytelling and so on?
- One can join a Toastmasters club and begin their journey of public speaking.
- Most of the people I have seen in Toastmasters club were very positive and changed the way I think, and I act in front of strangers and known people.
- One can improve their public speaking in general, and also become more cheerful as a person when you only have to say usual things to others.
- Work on your body language. An energetic person is very likely to be seen as enthusiastic, and interesting.
- A good posture shows confidence and positive attitude. A good workout improves this in a few months.
- Read a lot and learn how to speak well. Listen to lots of speeches on TED or Youtube.
- Learn how to tell stories.
- Learn how to tell jokes.
Smile, smile, smile. If you merely smile, you will attract a lot of people!
Stay blessed, and stay inspired!